Majority of international students have been hooked up in the midst of writing international examination to secure admission into Universities in USA. The reason for this is because most Universities in USA require either TOEFL, SAT, GRE, SAT before admission can be offered. Interestingly, few schools in the US are known to exempt students from certain countries from presenting English proficiency test scores. International students whose national language is English often don’t need to take the TOEFL/IELTS. The onus now lies on students seeking admission into their choice schools to check the websites of the schools and generally research deeply about the schools before applying. Researching your school by checking international student requirements makes the admission process easier and less complicated.
Note: TOEFL, IELTS, GRE, AND SAT are very important if you are looking for a scholarship in any school in the US. And also it will help you a lot in your first year. I will advise that you try and take the test for you to be marketable.
These are some of the schools in the US that do not require TOEFL/IELTS on certain conditions and the schools include:
1)Texas A&M University (Nigerians are given TOEFL waiver)(http://www.tamu.edu/admissions/index.html)
2) California State University: The California State University is a public university system in California. For admission in this university, international students need not produce a TOEFL/IELTS score if they have attended secondary school or/and graduate school with English as their medium of instruction. There are also a few countries for whose students they have waived the minimum English requirement. (http://www.calstatela.edu/admissions)
3) University of Colorado: The University of Colorado system is a system of public universities in Colorado consisting of four campuses: University of Colorado Boulder, University of Colorado Colorado Springs, University of Colorado Denver in downtown Denver and at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora.
International students applying to the University of Colorado are required to meet a minimum standard of English proficiency except a) the student’s native language is English b) the applying student has completed at least one year of full-time academic study at a U.S. institution. However, countries like Botswana, Ghana, South Africa and Nigeria are exempted from this arrangement. Students from these countries are NOT required to have TOEFL OR IELTS scores. (http://www.colorado.edu/admissions)
4) State University of New York: The State University of New York is a public university system in Albany, New York. The university grants admission to international students provided they undertake the Intensive English Language Program (IELP). (https://www.suny.edu/attend/apply-to-suny/)
5) University of Iowa: The University of Iowa is a public research university based in Iowa City, Iowa. The university grants admission to students who are eligible but do not meet the English proficiency requirement. (https://uiowa.edu/admission)
6) Drexel University: Drexel University is a private research university with campuses in Philadelphia and California. Drexel University has two conditional admission programs i.e. University Preparation Summer Program (UPREP) and Bridge Program for international students who don’t meet the language requirement. (http://drexel.edu/admissions/overview/)
7) University of Arkansas: The University of Arkansas is a public research university located in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Eligible international students need not produce TOEFL/IELTS scores; instead they must undertake the Intensive English Language Program (IELP).
8) University of Dayton: The University of Dayton is a private Roman Catholic national research university based in Dayton, Ohio. The university grants conditional admission to international students who are eligible but do not meet the university’s language requirement. They are required to undertake the Intensive English Language Program (IELP).
9) University of Delaware: The University of Delaware is a public university located in Delaware. The university will accept international students who are admissible except for English proficiency. (http://www.udel.edu/apply/undergraduate-admissions/)
10) University of New Orleans: The University of New Orleans is a public urban university located in New Orleans, Louisiana, US. The university offers conditional admission for international students with secondary education or degrees from certain countries. (www.uno.edu/admissions/apply/)