AfricaRice Triming Scholarship: Applications are invited for AfricaRice Triming Scholarship for the academic year 2018/2019.
The World Bank through Transforming Irrigation Management in Nigeria (TRIMING) Project has made a contribution to Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) to implement a 3-year project.
The project aims to evaluate rice value chain in Sokoto-Rima River Basin and to develop and validate an innovations system model that will bring about synergy among value chain actors for a sustainable development of rice value chain.
Host University: Usman Danfodio University Sokoto (UDUS) Click here to apply for Postgraduate programme at UDUS here
Number of Scholarship for Msc: Two (2)
Number of scholarship for PhD: One (1)
What the scholarship covers: Tuition fee, monthly stipend, research cost for a period of 1 academic year (Msc), research cost (Phd)
Scholarship Procedure for MSc
The graduate students will work on one of the suggested topics depending on their background:
- Assessment of driving factors of productivity in irrigated rice farming in Goronyo;
- Performance assessment of technologies/innovations on yield, post-harvest loss and the environment in Goronyo.
– Candidates should be registered students at Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto (UDUS),
– Candidates should have completed their university course work and be ready to perform field research as part of their MSc dissertation.
– Ideally, candidates should have a good background in one of the following areas: agronomy, agricultural economics, rice processing & post-harvest, value chain economics or closely related fields.
How to apply for the MSc scholarship
Candidates should submit the following documents compiled in one single PDF document to Mrs Lucie Dalie ([email protected]):
– Cover letter (max 1 page);
– Curriculum Vitae;
– Degrees and certificates;
– Research proposal (two-pages maximum);
– Endorsement letter from the current academic supervisor;
– Proof of enrolment in an MSc program.
In the Email subject line, please indicate 2018 MSc scholarship-TRIMING.
Application Deadline for MSc: 05 April 2018
Scholarship procedure for PHD
Areas of research
The PhD candidate will:
(i) perform a SWOT analysis of the rice value chain in Goronyo,
(ii) compose and test different technologies and innovations packages (TIPs) on rice yield, and value-addition in Goronyo.
(iii) study the competitiveness of each TIP in terms of return on investment, if value chain actors adopt the most efficient TIP in Goronyo
This will contribute to the design of innovative strategies that will support the TIPs scaling out and up program in irrigated systems in West Africa. The PhD student will work in close collaboration with Prof. Ala Ahmed of Usmanu Danfodiyo University, and Dr Rose Fiamohe and Dr Sali Ndindeng of Africa Rice Center to successfully complete his/her PhD thesis.
– MSc degree with excellent grades in one of the following areas: agricultural economics, value chain economics, market economics or closely related fields and obtained less than 5 years ago;
– Proven qualifications in socio-economic surveying methods, stakeholder participatory approaches and the use of econometric modeling;
– Excellent analytical skills preferably demonstrated through previous research or work experience (e.g. MSc thesis, peer-reviewed papers, reports).
PhD candidates should submit the following documents compiled in one single PDF document to Mrs Lucie Dalie ([email protected]):
– Motivation letter (1 page);
– Curriculum Vitae;
– Short PhD research proposal narrowing the research scope (max. 5 pages);
– Endorsement letter from the PhD supervisor;
– Copy of MSc and BSc diplomas;
– If applicable, proof of enrolment in a PhD program;
– If applicable, transcript of PhD coursework.
In the Email subject line, please indicate 2018 PhD scholarship-TRIMING.
Application deadline for PhD: 08 April 2018
Click on the scholarship link for more information Scholarship Link