SISSA in Trieste (Italy) is offering several fully funded PhD positions in Mathematics, Physics, and Neuroscience starting in October 2019.
At the present stage applications are accepted from international (non-EU) candidates only. A new call for all applicants (both EU and non-EU) will be opened early in 2019. Non-EU candidates can now apply online through the webpage
All the programs are in English.
This session is limited to the following PhD courses: Astroparticle Physics; Astrophysics and Cosmology; Theoretical Particle Physics; Geometry and Mathematical Physics; Mathematical Analysis, Modelling, and Applications; Cognitive Neuroscience.
SISSA offers opportunities for carrying out Ph.D studies in the following fields:
Physics (Deadline: 15 January 2019)
- Astroparticle Physics
- Astrophysics and cosmology
- Theoretical particle physics
Mathematics (Deadline: 15 January 2019)
- Geometric and mathematical physics
- Mathematical analysis, Modeling, Applications
Neuroscience (Deadline: 28 February 2019)
- Cognitive Neuroscience
International students (non-EU citizens) can be admitted through a selection based on academic and scientific qualifications only. Students selected in this way will therefore enter the School without taking the regular entrance examination, but will be expected to pass a qualifying examination within the first year of study.
Short-term fellowships (of the amount of € 650,00 plus travel expenses) may also be awarded to participate in the entrance exams which will take place in Trieste throughout 2019 starting from the end of March.
The positions reserved to international candidates will be defined on the basis ot the total number of fellowships available for each PhD course which will be determined in late January 2019 by the academic bodies of the School.
Applicants interested in participating in this pre-selection must have a University degree which qualifies them for a Ph.D programme by 31st October 2019.
Courses will start on 1s October 2019 (November 1st for Cognitive Neuroscience).
How to apply for SISSA PhD Scholarship
An online application must be filled and sent using the procedure available at the page
Candidates should upload the following documents in pdf format:
- curriculum vitae et studiorum;
- a certif icate of University examinations with marks;
- a final degree certificate if already obtained. ln order to be admitted such degree must be obtained by the beginning ol the courses.
- a copy of the diploma thesis (if any).
- Candidates will have to indicate the names and email addresses of two professors that will be asked to send a recommendation letter through lhe same online procedure.
The candidate will then have to print out the admission request form, sign it and send it, together with a copy of an lD document (i.e. passport) by email to email@example.com
The online procedure will be closed on the dates indicated on top of the present announcement.
The application form must reach SISSA within a week of the deadline. Applications received beyond this date, for whatever reason, will not be considered.
The outcome of the selections will be notified by email to all candidates as soon as the committees complete the selections
Fellowships and other Scholarship benefits
Admitted candidates will be awarded a fellowship of the yearly amount of € 15.278,61 gross for 4 years. Admission to the second year is subject to a Qualifying Examination at the end of the first year.
The following contributions are also foreseen:
- € 100,00 gross per month for living expenses upon presentation of a registered rent contract (at the end ot the academic year);
- Up to € 198,77 tor expenses to be enrolled in the health insurance system;
- Up to € 400,00 as a laptop contribution (purchased after the admission to the course and paid at the end of the first year);
- Up to € 1.000,00 for research and training expenses to third and fourth year students:
- 7O% of the amount of the fellowship up to 5 months to students who should be forced to suspend their activity due to illness, maternity or other serious reasons.
All necessary information about the online procedure and SISSA can be found at the page https://www.sissa.it/phd-courses
For further information contact the Students’ Secretariat: phd@ sissa.it