University of Cape Town’s Graduate School of Business offers Bertha scholarship for African students to study courses that advance social justice, innovation and entrepreneurship in Africa.
The application for the scholarship will close on 31st October 2019
About Bertha Scholarship
The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship was established as a specialized unit at the UCT Graduate School of Business (GSB) in 2011, in partnership with Bertha Foundation, a family foundation that works with inspiring leaders who are catalysts for social and economic change.
Through this partnership the GSB strengthens its commitment to transformation and equality and UCT’s strategic goal to address key development challenges facing Africa.
While the Bertha Foundation supports activists, storytellers and lawyers across the world, who are working to bring about social and economic justice, and human rights for all; the Bertha Centre Scholars at the GSB are part of a larger Bertha Foundation network of “troublemakers/radical actors” whose purpose it is to challenge the status quo for social justice – in this case through social innovation and entrepreneurship.
The Bertha Centre scholarships are open to innovators, entrepreneurs, out-of-the-box thinkers, system-entrepreneurs, change-makers, social activists and cross-disciplinary candidates from any field provided they are actively involved in the exploration of social, environmental and/or economic justice using innovative approaches.
You are eligible:
- if you meet the admission requirements of the university for your selected course of study.
- if you are an African citizen or permanent resident.
- if you are an entrepreneur who has started or worked with a social/green/entrepreneurial innovative idea that seeks social and/or economic change.
- if you are an intrapreneur who has worked on advancing social justice and pioneering inclusive opportunities through social innovation within an organisation.
- if you demonstrate strong leadership qualities within your field.
Eligible Fields of Study
The scholarship covers a wide variety of programmes at the UCT Graduate School of Business. These include the MBA [both full-time and the modular program], the MPhil in Inclusive Innovation, and PhD programs.
Eligible fields also include candidates committed to advancing social justice and opportunities through social innovation and entrepreneurship.
Value of Scholarship: The Bertha Centre Scholarship covers full or partial costs.
How to Apply for Bertha Scholarship
- Complete the MBA or MPhil in Inclusive Innovation enquiry form.
- Complete the full application form for an MBA or MPhil in Inclusive Innovation.
- In the scholarship section, select ‘Social Innovation & Social Entrepreneurship” as your first option.
- Answer the essay type questions which demonstrate how the degree programme at this stage in your career will help to accelerate impact in your area of work/interest and how it will contribute to society as a whole.
- You are also required to share a link of a short introduction video.
- Submit your application.
Note: You will only be able to take up the Bertha Scholarship if you are successfully admitted to the UCT GSB programme for which you have applied.
For more information, visit the official link.