University of Pretoria MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program Postgraduate (MCFSP) 2020/2021 for study in South Africa (Fully Funded)
The University of Pretoria (UP) in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation (MCF) is currently offering scholarships for high achieving African students interested in studying at undergraduate or postgraduate levels, commencing in January 2021.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people in Africa who will contribute to the transformation of the continent through their knowledge, skills, attitudes and values evidenced by their leadership. Community service and internships are essential components of the Program.
The MCFSP offers a full scholarship to selected students who have been provisionally admitted to study towards an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at UP. Two thirds of these bursaries will be for postgraduate study and one third will be for undergraduate study. Graduates must return to their home countries on completion of their studies and give back to their communities.
Applications to study at the UP open on 1 March 2020 and close on 31 August 2020. Applications for the MCFSP open on 1 May 2020 and close on 18 September 2020.
MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program at University of Pretoria- Areas.
- Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities for entry into the Honours or Masters (Political Studies or International Studies only)
- Faculty of Engineering – continuing students are eligible to apply
- Candidates should be citizens from Africa.
- Applicants should come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate financial neediness.
- Candidates should demonstrate leadership potential and ought to be involved in a giving back project eg. in a community, at school, church etc
- Academic excellence is paramount and students have to maintain a high academic average at all times.
If your application is successful, the Program will cover the following:
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation and meals in a UP residence or UP-accredited accommodation
- A modest monthly stipend
- Textbooks and printed material
- Medical aid cover for the duration of the study
- VISA costs
- Reasonable travel costs (including flight ticket) to and from your home
- Leadership development opportunities
- Academic advising and counselling support
- Selection will focus on prior academic achievement, but also on the fit of the applicant to the ethos of the Program, which is focused on leadership and community development for Africa in addition to academic success.
- Successful applicants must be committed to completing their qualifications in minimum time, returning to their home countries and giving back to their communities.
How to Apply for University of Pretoria MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program.
In order to apply for the scholarship, you MUST have been admitted into a degree at UP. You will need your student number to complete the MCFSP application, which must be accompanied by your academic records and other supporting documents as outlined in the application form.
- Be sure to include documents that support what your family, guardian or foster
- parents can afford to pay. Examples of such documentation include bank
- statements, pay slips and loan documents.
- Only students admitted to full-time study at UP will be considered for the scholarship.
- Only prospective students who cannot afford to pay the full fees are eligible to apply. Do not apply for funding if you or your parents, guardian or foster parents can afford the full tuition fees.
- All the information provided must be accurate and true. Any falsification of
- information on the application form may result in disqualification from consideration for a scholarship.
Apply for admission at the University of Pretoria online by https://www.up.ac.za/apply
Click on this link for the Postgraduate scholarship application form.