Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentships is small number of doctoral scholarships which are available for students of any nationality to undertake medical research at doctoral level at a university in the UK, Ireland, or a low-to-middle-income country.
Level of funding: Stipend, research expenses and tuition fees
Duration of funding: Usually 3 years
Target: Any nationality
Level: PHD in any area of health
Deadline: 29 March 2018
The scholarship covers: A studentship stipend, approved tuition fee, a contribution of up to £5,000 towards the costs of attending academic meetings and conferences, including registration fees, and research expenses.
You can apply for a Doctoral Studentship if you want to complete a period of research leading to a PhD in any humanities or social science area.
You must have been accepted onto a PhD programme with an eligible host organisation in the UK, Republic of Ireland or a low- or middle-income country.
You can be of any nationality. You should usually hold, or expect to hold, a relevant Master’s degree or have equivalent experience.
What we’re looking for
We will assess:
- the significance and originality of your proposed research
- the suitability and relevance of your approach to your research topic
- the suitability of the host organisation and department for your research and for developing your career
- your track record, eg assessed work during your Master’s course.
We encourage you to check that your application is competitive by discussing your project with:
- your intended supervisor(s)
- researchers in relevant health-related fields
- the research office at your host organisation.
Your supervisor and other researchers
Your supervisor and other researchers will give you advice about the intellectual quality and importance of your project. They will also help you to decide whether it’s the right time for you to apply.
The research office at your host organisation should be able to advise you on:
- how to structure your application, including the budget
- what information is needed to support your proposal
- how much time the authorised organisational approver needs to approve your application after you submit it.
Contact the research office as early as possible in the application process.
What’s expected of your host organisation
You must have an eligible host organisation that will administer your fellowship for the full duration of the award.
You should give careful thought to your choice of supervisor(s); they should have strong track records in research, training and mentorship.
If you have a multi-site or multi-method project, you may need more than one supervisor. You should make it clear on your application form how you will all work together. Your sponsor can also be your supervisor.
To apply, visit the official page https://wellcome.ac.uk/funding/doctoral-studentships