The Western Union Foundation believes education is a key pathway to success, yet it is out of reach for many. Our mission is to provide the training and skills needed to enter and thrive in today’s workforce. That’s why we launched the WU Scholars program in 2017, to provide scholarships to typically underserved populations that face daunting barriers to access, so that they too can gain a higher education and have a better chance of supporting themselves, their families, and their communities. Since we launched, we have helped more than 500 students achieve this goal.
We are continuing to support such students in 2021 through a $400,000 fund that will award a minimum of 40 scholarships of up to $10,000 each to promising young students in their final or penultimate year of their degree program. Students will be selected based on their academic standing, personal goals, and level of financial need.
Selected scholarship recipients will receive USD $10,000 each to contribute toward tuition or school fees at an accredited post-secondary institution and will be selected based on criteria relating to the program’s three pillars: Perseverance, Aspiration, and Community.
- Application Period Opens: Thursday, March 8, 2019
- Application Period Closes: Friday, April 13, 2019 at 12:00pm EST
- Selection and Notification to All Applicants: July 2019
Western Union Foundation Global Scholarship Eligibility
- be an international student already enrolled in the 2021-22 Academic Year (or a corresponding timeframe for universities with other semester systems) and preferably residing in one of the following countries of study: US, UK, Europe, Singapore, Japan, Canada, Australia, New Zealand.
- be in their final or penultimate year of a full-time undergraduate (Bachelor’s) degree program at an accredited higher education institution in any of the countries/regions listed above.
- be able to demonstrate financial need.
- be in good academic standing, have high ambitions, and a demonstrated commitment to their chosen field of study.
- be pursuing a degree/field of study in one of the following categories: science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and business/entrepreneurship.
- be selected based on criteria relating to the program’s three pillars: Perseverance, Aspiration, and Community-Mindedness.
How to apply
The scholarship is an online application. Click on the scholarship link to apply online apply here. The application portal closes on October 15 2021.
If you have any questions about submitting your nomination, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominations must be submitted to IIE online by 11:59 PM ET on Friday, October 15, 2021. Nominated students will be invited to submit applications by Friday, October 29, 2021. Awards will be announced in mid‐November.