The list of postgraduate courses offered at Imo State University (IMSU) and admission requirements will be discussed for those seeking postgraduate admission into the school.
IMSU Postgraduate Courses
Department of Agricultural Economics, Extension and Rural Development
- Postgraduate Diploma Programmes in Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Cooperatives, Agricultural Extension, and Farm Management and Rural Sociology.
- M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics with specialization in Agricultural Cooperatives, Farm Management; Production Economics; Agricultural Finance; Agricultural Marketing, Agricultural Business, Resource and Environmental Economics.
- M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Agricultural Extension with specialization in Rural Sociology; Rural Development, Agricultural Extension Systems; Extension Communication; Extension Administration.
Department of Animal Science and Fisheries
- Postgraduate Diploma Programmes in Animal Science, and Fisheries
- M. Sc. and Ph.D. in Animal Science with options in Animal Production; Animal Nutrition, Animal Physiology; and Animal Breeding and Genetics.
Department of Crop Science and Biotechnology
- Postgraduate Diploma Programmes in Crop Science.
- M. Sc. and Ph. D. in Crop Science with options in Plant Protection; Horticulture, Breeding and Genetics; Crop Nutrition and Physiology.
Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Postgraduate Diploma
Department of Soil Science and Environment
- Postgraduate Diploma Programmes in Soil Science and Environment.
- M.Sc. in Soil Chemistry and Fertility; Soil Physics and Conservation; Soil Microbiology and Biochemistry; Soil Survey and Land Use Planning; and Soil Science and Environment Pollution.
Department of Accountancy
- Postgraduate Diploma
- M.Sc.and MBA.
Department of Banking and Finance
- Postgraduate Diploma
- M.Sc./PhD for those with MBA Banking and Finance with a GPA of not below 3.50on a 5 point scale and those with Banking and Finance or related discipline with GPA of not below 3.00 on a 5 point scale
- Ph.D with specialisation in Banking or Finance
Department of Business Management
- Postgraduate Diploma
- M.Sc., MBA,
Department of Insurance and Actuarial Science
- PGD in Insurance and Actuarial Science
- MSc in Insurance and Actuarial Science
Department of Marketing
- Postgraduate Diploma
- M.Sc., MBA
FACULTY OF EDUCATION
(a)Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
(b)Postgraduate Diploma in Library and Information Science
Department of Education Arts
- M.Ed and Ph.D in Curriculum Studies
Departmentof Foundations and Counselling
- M.Ed and Ph.D in Guidance and Counselling
- M.Ed and Ph.D in Sociology of Education
- M.Ed in Philosophy of Education
Department of Library and Information Science
- MLS and Ph.D in Library and Information Science
- M.Ed and Ph.D in Educational Technology
Department of Life Science Education
- M.Ed and Ph.D in Educational Psychology
Department of Physical Science Education
- M.Ed and Ph.D in Measurement and Evaluation
Department of Social Science Education
- M.Ed and Ph.D in Educational Management and Planning
Department of Civil Engineering
- Postgraduate Diploma in Civil Engineering
- MSc in Civil Engineering
- PhD in Civil Engineering
Department of Food Science and Technology
- Postgraduate Diploma Programmes in Food Science and Technology
- M. Sc. and PhD in Food Science and Technology
Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Postgraduate Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- M.Sc in Mechanical Engineering
Department of Architecture
- MSc in Architecture
- PhD in Architecture
Department of Building
- PGD in Construction Technology/Management
- M.Sc. in Construction technology/Management
- PhD in Construction Technology/Management
Department of Estate Management
- PGD in Estate Management
- MSc in Estate Management
- PhD in Estate Management
Department of Fine and Applied arts
- PGD in Fine and applied arts
- M.A. Fine Arts (Art History)
- MFA Fine Arts (Studio)
- PhD Fine Arts (Art History)
- PhD (Doc Fa)Fine and Applied Arts (Studio)
Department of Quantity Surveying
- PGD in Quantity Surveying
- MSc. in Quantity Surveying with options in-Quantity Surveying-Construction Project Finance-Construction Economics
- PhD in Quantity Surveying with options in-Quantity Surveying-Construction Project Finance-Construction Economics
Department of Urban and Regional Planning
- MURP in Urban and Regional Planning
- MSc in Urban and Regional Planning
- PhD in Urban and Regional Planning
Department of Public Health
- Postgraduate Diplomain Public Health
- M.Sc in Public Health
- Ph.D in Public Health
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Postgraduate Diploma Programmes in Nutrition and Dietetics
- M. Sc. in Human Nutrition and Dietetics
- Ph.D in Human Nutrition and Dietetics
Department of Medical Laboratory
- PGD in Medical Laboratory Science
- M.Sc. in Medical Laboratory Science in (Chemical Pathology, Medical Microbiology, Haematology and Histopathology options)
- Ph.D in Chemical Pathology, Medical Microbiology, Haematology and Histopathology
Department of English and Literary Studies
- M.A. and PhD in English Language
- M.A. and PhD in Literature
Department of History and International Studies
- PGD in History and International Studies
- PGD in International Development Studies
- PGD in Studies in Conflict Resolution and Peace Management
- M.A. in History/International Studies
- M.A. in International Development Studies
- Ph.D in History/International Studies
Department of French
- M.A. French With options in:(i) Language(ii) Literature and (iii) Translation
- PhD French With options in: (i) Language (ii) Literature and (iii) Translation(f) Department of Linguistics/Igbo(i) PGD Igbo Language(ii) PGD Igbo Literature & Translation Studies(iii) PGD Linguistic(iv)M.A. Igbo Language(v)MA Igbo Literature& Translation Studies(vi) MA Linguistics(vii) PhD Igbo Language(viii) PhD Igbo Literature& Translation Studies
Department of Philosophy
- MA Philosophy
- Ph.D Philosophy
Department of Religious Studies
- Postgraduate Diploma in Religious Studies
- M.A. Religious Studies
- Ph.D Religious Studies, with areas of specialisation in: a) African Traditional Religion b) Old Testament Studies c) New Testament Studies d)Church History e)Religion and Society f)Religious Ethics g)Comparative Religion
Department of Theatre Arts
- M.A. in Theatre Arts With options in:(i) Directing (ii)Acting(iii)Playwriting/Dramatology (iv)Dramatic Theory and Criticism, and (v)African Drama and Theatre.
- PhD in Theatre Arts With options in: (i) Theatre Studies and Performance Theory (ii)Theatre History and Historiography (iii) Dramatic Literature (iv) Dramatic Theory and Criticism (v) African Drama and Theatre (vi) Theatre in Education (vii) Media/Film Studies and (viii) Arts Administration/Management
- Masters Degree Programmes (LLM)
- Ph.D programme in Law The Ph.D programme is available in specialised areas of Law. The Ph.D programme is domiciled in different departments namely: Department of International Law and Jurisprudence, Department of Private and Property Law, Department of Public Law and Department of Commercial Law.
Department of Animal and Environmental Biology
- Postgraduate Diploma in (i) Hydrobiology and Fisheries (ii) Public Health Parasitology and Entomology (iii) Environmental Biology and (iv) Physiology(ii)
- M.Sc in (i) Medical Parasitology and Entomology (ii) Fisheries and Hydrobiology (iii) Environmental Biology (iv) Physiology and (v) Public Health Parasitology
- PhD programme with options in (i) Medical Parasitology and Entomology (ii) Fisheries and Hydrobiology (iii) Environmental Biology (iv) Physiology and (v) Public Health Parasitology
Department of Biochemistry
- Postgraduate Diploma in Biochemistry
Department of Chemistry
- Postgraduate diploma in Chemistry
- MSc with options in (i) Organic Chemistry (ii) Physical Chemistry, (iii) Inorganic Chemistry, (iv)Analytical Chemistry and (v) Environmental Chemistry (vi) Polymer Chemistry
- PhD in Chemistry with specialisation in: (i) Physical Chemistry.
Department of Computer Science
- Postgraduate diploma in Computer Science
- MSc with specialisation in: (i) Artificial Intelligence (ii) Computer Graphics and Multimedia Technology and (iii) Software Engineering and Development. Information Technology with specialisation in: (i) Computer Networks and Security (ii) Computer Forensics and Information Assurance and (iii) Information Management Analysis.
Department of Microbiology
- Postgraduate diploma in Microbiology
- MSc with specialisation in: (i) Medical Microbiology (ii) Environmental Microbiology and (iii) Industrial Microbiology
Department of Physics
- Postgraduate diploma in Physics
- MSc with specialisation in: (i) Atmospheric Physics (ii) Solid State Physics and (iii) Applied Geophysics.
- PhD with options in (i) Atmospheric Physic (ii) Solid State Physics and (iii) Applied Geophysics.
Department of Plant Science & Biotechnology
- Postgraduate diploma in (i) Plant Taxonomy/Biosystematics (ii) Mycology and Phytopathology (iii) Cytogenetics (iv) Plant Breeding and (v) Plant Physiology.
- MSc with specialisation in: (i) Plant Biosystematics/Taxonomy (ii) Mycology/Plant Pathology (iii) Plant Physiology and (iv) Cytogenetics and Plant Breeding.
- PhD with options in (i) Plant Taxonomy and Biosystematics (ii) Pathology and Mycology and (iii) Plant Physiology.
Department of Statistics
- Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics
- MSc, MSc/PhD and PhD in Statistics
Department of Economics
- Postgraduate Diploma
- PhD with specialisation in: (i)Public Sector Economics & Finance (ii)Industrial Economics (iii)Development Economics
Department of Geography and Environmental Management
- Postgraduate diploma in Environmental Management
- M.Sc. in Geography & Environmental Management
- M.Sc in Environmental Management
- Ph.D in Geography & Environmental Management
- Ph.D in Environmental Management
Department of Mass Communication
- Mass Communication Postgraduate Diploma
- Ph.D with options in: (i) Print Sequence (ii) Electronic (Broadcast) Sequence (iii) Theory and Research Sequence
- Postgraduate Diploma in Public Relations
- MSc in Public Relations
Department of Political Science
- Postgraduate Diploma in:-International Relations (PGDIR)-Developmental Studies (PGD, DS)-Intelligence and Strategic Studies-Public Administration (PGDPA)
- Masters Degree Programmes – MSc in-International Relations and Diplomacy-Peace and Conflict Resolution Studies-Intelligence and Security Studies-Developmental Studies
- MSc in Public Administration with options in: (i) Local Government Administration (ii) Human Resources Management and (iii) Public Sector Management.-Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Ph.D in Political Science with options in: (i)International Relations and Diplomacy (ii) International Political Economy and (iii) Developmental Studies.
- Ph.D in Public Administration with options in: (i)Local Government Administration(ii)Human Resources Managementand (iii) Public Sector Management.
Department of Psychology
- Postgraduate Diplomain Psychology
- M.Sc.with options in (i) Clinical Psychology(ii) Industrial Psychology and (iii) Counselling Psychology (iv) Developmental Psychology
- Ph.D with options in (i) Clinical Psychology (ii) Industrial Psychology and (iii) Counselling Psychology
Department of Sociology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Sociology (ii) Criminology & Security Studies
- Masters Degree with options in:-Sociology of Development-Rural Sociology-Industrial Sociology -Personnel and Human Resources Management
- PhD Programmes with options in:-Sociology of Development-Rural Sociology
IMSU Postgraduate Admission Requirements
All prospective applicants must possess ab initio at least 5 O’level Credit passes at not more than 2 sittings from WASC, GCE, NABTEB, NECO or TC II. For all Social Science courses, a credit in Mathematics is required. Apart from the basic UME of five credits, two of the credits must be in English and Mathematics in all disciplines in the Faculty of Education. Any candidate who does not satisfy the O’level requirements for the courses of choice shall not be considered for admission. In addition, there are specific Departmental/Faculty requirements, which applicants have to meet. Details of these are available on this portal.
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes: Applicants must hold a good honours degree or at least HND, from an institution recognised by the Senate of Imo State University, Owerri. However, applicants for PGD in Construction Management may be considered if they have certain other certificates plus not less than ten years post qualification experience in a related field. For PGD in Medical Laboratory Science, applicants must possess AIMLS/AIMLT or FIMLT or equivalent qualifications register able with the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN).
Masters Degree Programmes
- A minimum of Bachelor’s Degree with second class honours in relevant discipline, or Postgraduate Diploma at Credit or Higher level in the relevant discipline, or equivalent qualification.
- For Masters Degree in Education (Measurement and Evaluation) the candidates must have adequate mathematics background.
- Applicants for M.Sc. Architecture may be required to present a portfolio of their work and/or appear for interview.
- MPA applicants must have a minimum of five years postgraduate working experience.
Ph.D Degree Programmes: Masters degree in the relevant discipline or equivalent qualifications with at least 3.5GPA on 5-points grade scale or 3.00 on a 4-point scale.