Mechatronics engineering is one of the engineering courses offered in Nigerian universities and it is among the courses that are new to many applicants, however, it is lucrative.
Mechatronics combines technologies like mechanics, electrics/electronics and information technology. It covers the inter-phases between separate technologies and their collaboration in integrated and networked production system. Said differently, A mechatronics engineer unites the principles of mechanics, electronics, and computing to generate a simpler, more economical and reliable system.
Firstly, I will list below Universities offering mechatronics in Nigeria and their admission requirements.
Universities Offering Mechatronics
- Ahmadu Bello University
- Afe Babalola University
- Achievers University
- Bayero University Kano
- Bells University
- University of Benin
- Bowen University
- Federal University Ndufu
- Federal University Otuoke
- Federal University Oye-Ekiti
- Federal University Of Agriculture Abeokuta
- Federal University Of Technology Minna
- University of Port-Harcourt
- Technical University Ibadan
To the best of my knowledge, the only polytechnic offering mechatronics is ITFMSTC (Industrial Training Fund (ITF) Models Skills Training Centre, No. 6, Adetokumbo Ademola Crescent, Maitama, Abuja).
Admission Requirement For Mechatronics in Nigeria
Direct Entry: ‘A’ Level passes in any two (2) of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry
O’level: Five (5) SSC credit passes to include Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry ,English Language and any other Science subject
Jamb Subject Combination: Use of English Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics.
- BELLS accepts a) two (2) ‘A’ Level passes in Mathematics, Physics/ Chemistry, b) ND/HND upper credit in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering or Electrical/Electronics Engineering.
- FED-OYE EKITI requires two (2) ‘A’ Level passes from Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- FED-OYE EKITI requires five (5) credits at SSC (or its equivalent) including English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and one other Science subject from Further Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Biology/Agricultural Science.
- FUNAAB requires ‘O’ Level credit pass in Biology
Mechatronics JAMB Cut Off Mark
The jamb cut of mark to study mechatronics in Nigeria is 200. However, some schools like FUOYE, BOWEN, ABUAD, can still accept 180. In my view, scoring more than 200 in UTME will give you a better chance to study the course in any of the universities named above.
Also some of you may be wondering where you can work after studying mechatronics in Nigeria. The good news is that companies like Oil and gas sector ( in designs, modelling and simulation, quality control, process control and automation, etc), Telecommunications., Production companies and Manufacturing companies( such a Nestle, Friesland Foods Wamco Nigeria PLC, PZ Industries PLC, Unilever Nigeria PLC etc), Brewing and drinks production companies (such as Guinness (Nigeria) PLc, Coca-Cola PLC etc.), and Automobile industry are best places to work.