This article provides you with the list of accredited universities offering Law and their admission requirements.
LLB. Degree lasts for a minimum of FIVE years for UTME candidates and FOUR years for Direct Entry applicants.
The Nigerian law school and the Council of Legal Education were established in 1962, following the enactment of the Legal Education Act to ensure the study of the Nigerian customary law by prospective members of the bench.
Law in Nigerian Universities is grouped into 7, and they include:
- Civil Law
- Common Law
- Common and Islamic Law
- International Law and jurispudence
- Islamic Law/Sharia Law
- Private and Islamic Law
- Public and International Law
Accredited University Offering Law In Nigeria
- University of Ibadan
- University of Lagos
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- University of Maiduguri
- University of Benin
- University of Jos
- University of Calabar
- University of Ilorin
- University of Uyo
- Obafemi Awolowo University
- Bayero University, Kano
- Usmanu Dan Fodio University
- Ahmadu Bello University
- University of Abuja
- Nnamdi Azikwe University
- University of Port Harcourt
- Adekunle Ajasin University
- Ebonyi State University
- Ekiti State University
- Abia State University
- Delta State University
- Enugu State University of Science & Tech
- Kogi State University
- Rivers State University
- Nasarawa State University
- Ambrose Alli University
- Olabisi Onabanjo University
- Osun State University
- Umaru Musa Yar’adua Univesity
- Imo State University
- Bauchi State University
- Chukwuemeka Odimegwu Ojukwu University
- Lagos State University
- Benue State University
- Niger Delta University
- Igbinedion University
- Afe babalola University
- Crescent University
- Babcock University
- Baze University
- American University of Nigeria
- Bowen University
- Benson Idahosa University
- Nigerian Turkish Nile University
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University
- Al-Hikmah University
- Leadcity University
- Ajayi Crowther University
- Edwin Clark University
- Madonna University
- Elizade University
- Salem University
- Gregory university
- Edo university
LAW Admission Requirements
- Two ‘A’ level passes in Arts or Social Science subjects.
- NCE/ND/First Degree (Second Class Lower).
O’level: Five ‘O’ level credit passes to include English Language, Literature in English and Mathematics.
JAMB Subject Combination: Any three Arts or Social Science subjects.
- UNN does not require mathematics and does not accept Fine Art or Local languages.
- IBADAN requires 5 ‘O’ level Credits passes at one sitting or six ‘O’ level subjects at 2 sitting to include English. Language, Lit-in-English any other subjects from Arts, Social Sciences or Science.
- UYO, MADONNA, BIU, IMSU, DELSU and BENIN accept a pass in Mathematics.
- AAU and NAU require a credit in one science subject and one Commercial subject and at least a pass in Mathematics.
- OOU requires a credit pass in Literature and at least a pass in Mathematics.
- BSU accepts any other three Arts/Social Science subjects
- LAGOS requires the Five O’ Level credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics and Lit. in English and one of Arts or Social Science subject.
- ESUTECH requires credit passes in Mathematics or Science subject.
- JOS and OOU credit pass in Mathematics is not compulsory.
- ILORIN requires Literature-in-English plus any two subjects.
- EBSU requires any other two Arts or Social Science Subject
- OAU requires Five “O” level credit passes to include English Language and Literature in English.
- ABUAD requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Maths, Literature in English and two other subjects from Arts or Social Science at one sitting.
- NDU requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Maths, Literature in English and any other two subjects in not more than two sittings.
- BOWEN requires five ‘O’ level credit passes to include English Language, Literature in English and three other Arts subjects at not more than two sittings.
- CUAB requires Five (5) O’ level credits passes in English Language, Literature in English, Government and Economics at not more than two sittings in WASCE, GCE and NECO. Candidates with a pass in Mathematics may be eligible for admission.
- UMYUK requires five credit passes at SSCE(or its equivalent) in English Language, English Literature and any other three Social Science or Arts subject with a pass in Mathematics in not more than two sittings.
- KSU requires five credit passes at SSCE(or its equivalent) in English Language, English Literature and any other three Sciences, Social Sciences or Arts subjects.
JAMB Subject Combination
- BOWEN, ILORIN, UNN, BENIN, AAU and OAU require Literature in English plus any two (2) subjects.
- LAGOS does not accept Music, Fine Arts, and Principles of Account and accepts either Economics or Commerce but not both.
- IBADAN accepts Science subjects.
- EBSU requires Literature in English and either Government, History, CRK or Economics.
- RSUST requires History or Government and two other subjects.
- CUAB, DELSU and ABU require Literature in English and any other Arts or Social Science subjects.
- OOU does not insist on Literature in English.
Note: Some Universities may accept candidates with good Honours Degree into 4-year LLB. Programme.