Meaning and importance of Education
Great men and women of old have sat down to reason out some of the importance of education. Their reasoning are as a result of great conviction they have about education. They looked inward to bring out the precious stones inside education in order for us to embrace it as a tool for greatness. Some of the quotes are as follows:
- “Education make a people easy to lead, but difficult to drive: easy to govern, but impossible to enslave – Peter Brougham”
- “Education is simply the soul of a society as it passes from one generation to another – G. K. Chesterton”.
- “What sculpture is to a block of marble, education is to the human soul – Joseph Addison”.
- “Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom – George Washington Carver”.
- “The fruit of liberal education is not learning, but the capacity and desire to learn, not knowledge, but power – Charles W. Eliot”.
- “The ultimate goal of the educational system is to shift to the individual the burden of pursuing his education – John W. Gardner”.
- “Next in importance to freedom and justice is popular education, without which which neither freedom nor justice can be maintained – James A. Garfield”.
- “Education should bring to light the ideal of the individual – J.P Richter”.
- “When asked how much educated men were superior to those uneducated, Aristotle answered, As much as the living are to the dead – Diogenes Laetius”
- “Upon the education of the people of this country, the fate of this country depends – Benjamin Disraeli”.
- “Have you ever been at sea in a dense fog, when it seemed as if a tangible white darkness shut you in and the great ship, tense and anxious, groped her way toward the shore with plummet and sounding-line, and you waited with beating heart for something to happen? I was like that ship before my education began, only I was without compass or sounding line, and no way of knowing how near the harbour was. “Light! Give me light!” was the wordless cry of my soul, and the light of love shone on me in that very hour – Helen Keller”.
Some of the board aims of education in Nigeria as contained in section 4 subsection 18 0f the educational policy(1981 pg 16) are:
- To raise a generation of people who can THINK for themselves, respect the views and feelings of others …
- To inspire its students with a desire for ACHIEVEMENT and SELF IMPROVEMENT …
These quotes and our educational policy are pointing to one thing which is self-discovery for great achievement. Education put you on a platform where you can explore everything that is deposited in you by your creator. It also equips you for the task ahead that is you are better informed and prepared. I love what Helen Keller compared education with, she compared it with light.
The importance of education cannot be overemphasized, you only need to get your views right and see it as an important tool for greatness.