A simple guide for students aspiring to study medical laboratory science (MLS) or science laboratory technology in the Universities or Polytechnics in Nigeria.
Medical Laboratory Science is offered only in the University while Science Laboratory Technology (SLT) is offered in both Polytechnics and Universities in Nigeria.
The list of the Universities offering MLS or SLT and JAMB requirements for each course are discussed in this article.
Universities or Schools of Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University
- Afe Babalola University
- Babcock University
- Bayero University
- University of Benin
- University of Calabar
- Ebonyi State University
- University of Ibadan
- Igbinedion University
- Imo State University
- University of Jos
- University of Lagos
- Ladoke Akintola University
- Madonna University
- University of Maiduguri
- Niger Delta University
- Usman Danfodio University
- Nnamdi Azikwe University
- University of Nigeria
Entry Requirements for Admission into Medical Laboratory Science
WAEC/NECO: Five (5) SSC credit passes in English Language, Mathematics Physics, Chemistry and Biology
JAMB subject combination for MLS in Nigeria: Physics, Chemistry and Biology
List of Universities offering Science Laboratory Technology (SLT) in Nigeria
Below is the list of accredited Universities that offer the course in Nigeria
- Delta State University, Abraka Delta State
- Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti state
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State
- Federal University of Technology, Yola, Adamawa State
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Oyo State
- University of Benin, Benin Edo State
- University of Jos, Jos Plateau State
- University of Portharcourt, Rivers State
List of Polytechnics offering Science Laboratory Technology (SLT) in Nigeria
- Abia State Polytechnic, Abia State
- Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechnic, Unwana, Ebonyi State.
- Akwa Ibom State Polytechnic, Ikot Osurua. Akwa Ibom State
- Auchi Polytechnic, Edo State.
- Benue State Polytechnic, Ugbokolo, Benue State
- Delta State Polytechnic, Ozoro Accredited
- Federal College of Chemical and Leather Technology, Zaria, Kaduna State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi, Bauchi State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Bida, Niger State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Damaturu, Yobe State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Ede, Osun State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Ekowe, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State
- Federal Polytechnic, Idah, Kogi State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro, Ogun State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Kaura Namoda, Zamfara State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Mubi, Adamawa State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Nassarawa, Nassarawa State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Offa, Kwara State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Oko, Anambra State.
- Gate Way Polytechnic, Saapade
- Hassan Usman Katsina Polytechnic, Katsina, Katsina State.
- Hussaini Adamu Federal Polytechnic, Kazaure, Jigawa State.
- Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu, Enugu State.
- Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna, Kaduna State.
- Kano State Polytechnic, Kano.
- Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja, Kogi State
- Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin, Kwara State.
- Lagos State Polytechnic, Ikorodu. Lagos.
- Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Ojeere, Abeokuta, Ogun State.
- Niger State Polytechnic, Zungeru, Niger State.
- Nuhu Bamali Polytechnic, Zaria, Kaduna State.
- Osun State College of Technology, Esa-Oke, Osun State.
- Osun State Polytechnic, Iree, Osun State.
- Our Saviour Institute of Science, Agric and Technology, Enugu State
- Oyo State College of Agriculture, Igbo-Ora, Oyo State
- Petroleum Training Institute, Effunrun, Delta State.
- Plateau State Polytechnic, Barkin Ladi
- Ramat Polytechnic, Maiduguri, Borno State.
- Rivers State Polytechnic, Bori, P.M.B. 20, Bori.
- Rufus Giwa Polytechnic, Owo, Ondo State.
- Sokoto State Polytechnic, Sokoto.
- The Polytechnic, Ibadan. Oyo State.
- Waziri Umoru Federal Polytechnic, Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi State
- Yaba College of Technology, Yaba, Lagos.
JAMB subject combination for SLT: Biology, Chemistry and either Physics or Mathematics.
You may like to read: Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Differences between MLS and SLT
Is there a difference between Medical Laboratory Science and Science Laboratory Technology? Yes there is, in fact they aren’t the same.
A woman who owns a Medical Laboratory once told me that “every registered Medical Laboratory is not authorized to allow SLT students to undergo intern in their Laboratory, if allowed, there are certain things they can’t be exposed to”. This boils down to the fact that SLT and MLS are not the same, in fact they aren’t a seismic twins that can’t be separated .
There is a need for all applicants to know the differences between the two courses before you study any one of the courses.
MLS is a Medical Science or a Clinical course studied in the College of Medicine under the Faculty of Health Sciences in the university or College of Health Sciences only.
Medical Laboratory science course
MLS courses in University include:
- Medical Biochemistry
- Human Anatomy
- Human Physiology
- Forensic analysis
- Embalmment techniques
- Clinical pathology
- Medical Microbiology and Parasitology
- Public Health and Epidemiology etc.
To study MLS in the University, it will take you a period of six years; five years degree programme and one year of internship. After you have satisfied all conditions, you will then be awarded B.MLS degree
Area of specialization for Medical Laboratory science students include
- Medical Microbiology and Parasitology
- Virology and Mycology
- Public Health and Epidemiology
- Histopathology and Cytopathology
- Chemical pathology or Clinical chemistry
- Hematology and Blood group
Science Laboratory technology in the other hand can be studied in most Polytechnics and some Universities in Nigeria as I have named above.
Studying in the Polytechnic will take you a period of Four years (2 years OND and 2 years HND) and thereafter you will be awarded HND in SLT but if you study in the University, you will be awarded B.Tech in SLT.
A Graduate of SLT from Polytechnic are called Technician while that of a University are called Laboratory Technologist.
Conclusively, a graduate of MLS are health professionals while a graduate of SLT is not.
Science Laboratory Technology (SLT) Course Outline
These are the first year course outline for SLT in polytechnics
- STB 111 Plant and Animal Taxonomy
- STB 112 Morphology and Physiology of Living Things
- STC 111 General Principles of Chemistry
- STC 112 Inorganic Chemistry I
- STP 111 Mechanics
- SPT 112 Heat Energy
- STP 113 Algebra for Science
- STP 114 Electronic Logic for Science
- GNS 102 Communication in English I
- GLT 111 General Laboratory Techniques
- COM 001 Computer Applications I
- STB 121 Cell Biology
- STC 121 Organic Chemistry
- STC 122 Physical Chemistry
- STP 121 Electricity and Magnetism
- STP 122 Optics and Waves
- STC 123 Analytical Chemistry
- GLT 121 General Laboratory Techniques
- COM 002 Computer Applications II
- GNS 202 Communication in English II
Related Article: List of science courses in Nigeria
There is an Institute of Science Laboratory Technology in Nigeria. To know about the institute click http://www.nislt.gov.ng/index.php