Jemila Abubakar Memorial Essay Competition For Undergraduates 2023
Entry is now opened for the Jemila Abubakar Memorial Essay Competition for undergraduates of all Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria for 2023/2024.
The Asido Foundation (AF) is a not-for-profit charity organization that seeks to counter the ocean of ignorance around mental health by providing evidence – based information, and engaging in advocacy and intervention activities aimed at improving the mental health needs of the Nigerian population.
Undergraduate students in tertiary institutions in Nigeria are invited to submit essays on the topic: Mainstreaming Mental Health in Nigeria: Barriers and Opportunities.
The deadlines for submission of entries December 9th, 2022 and winners will be announced during our Interactive Monthly Community Engagement
Ms Jemila Abubakar was the pioneer Project Manager of the Asido Foundation. She was an awesome treasure to have. In terms of commitment, creativity, passion, a strong desire to help other human beings. Sadly, they lost her after a brief illness in July 2020. The Asido Foundation plans to keep her memory alive through an Annual Essay Competition for undergraduates of all Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria. The theme will always be on a topical mental health issue.
Read: List of essay competitions in Nigeria
Jemila Abubakar Memorial Essay Competition Eligibility
- Open to students of Nigerian tertiary institutions only.
- Entries should range from 750 to a maximum of 1500 words.
- 1st Place: N200,000
- 2nd Place: N150,000
- 3rd Place: N100,000
How to Apply For the Essay Competition
- Entry is to be sent ONLY in word document format to this email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kindly attach a scanned copy of a recent passport photograph, evidence of studentship and your certificate of the signed unashamed pledge.
- The body of the email should contain the following details: Full name, email address, phone number, name of institution, department and course of study, and level of study.
Winners will be announced on the 19th of January, 2023 and the top 15 will be awarded a certificate and also enrolled as JAME 2023 Fellowship Mentees.
At the end of the competition, participants will:
- Have improved knowledge of mental health.
- Be encouraged to become mental health advocates.
- Gain more knowledge in essay writing.