Chevening Essay Competition is currently on for undergraduate students in Nigeria who are interested in submitting their entries. The deadline for entry submission is 12.00 GMT, January 18, 2021.
The Chevening Alumni Programme Fund (CAPF) of the British High Commission (BHC) supports Chevening Alumni Association activities across the globe. The Alumni Association are professionals who are beneficiaries of the Chevening Scholarship Programme for Post-Graduate Studies in various disciplines in the United Kingdom (UK). The Chevening Alumni Association of Nigeria (CAAN) has received funding from the Chevening Alumni Programme Fund (CAPF), to organize an essay competition for young people in Nigeria, as part of its community service endeavours. CAAN is therefore pleased to publish details of the competition as follows.
Chevening Essay Competition Topic
“Alternative Narratives to illegal Migration Amongst Young People in Nigeria”
Background to Essay Topic:
The essay seeks to stimulate thoughts on illegal migration, especially amongst young people, towards preventing the occurrence, and for providing options to breaches of immigration regulations. The options should not only help stop the risks that it exposes perpetrators to, but should offer alternative ideas on earning a living, aside from the belief that the option can only be elsewhere. It seeks to challenge the youths on creating and harnessing opportunities in the local environment, and to envision migration from the legal path, if desired. The focus of the essay is on emphasizing the risks of illegal migration by deepening knowledge on other possibilities.
The overarching objective of the competition is to:
- Generate ideas that will be helpful for CAAN future engagement with the private sector, the Nigerian government and multilateral agencies on curbing illegal migration.
- Foster deeper inter-generational learning through interactions between CAAN members and the younger generations.
- Encourage young Nigerians to engage in the discussion of a core trans-national governance issue, ahead of future leadership roles.
- Undergraduate students in Nigerian public and private universities and in other tertiary institutions of learning
- 1st Place prize: A Laptop and 1-month Data subscription.
- 2nd Place Prize: A Tablet and 1-month Data subscription.
- 3rd Place prize: A Smart Phone and 1-month Data subscription.
- Prize winners will receive a Certificate of Good Performance.
How to Submit Entries for Chevening Essay Competition
You can enter for this essay competition by submitting here
- Not more than 2000 words, including references.
- Must be original, as the essay will be subjected to credit reference checks.
- Typed and double-spaced.
- Appropriate use of examples and illustrations
- Creative and engaging, with realistic solutions to the migration saga.
- Comprehensive prose.