10 reasons to use social media to your advantage as a student
Social media is a tool whereby a billion individuals around the world can be connected and networked together to create, collaborate, and contribute their knowledge and wisdom [Christy M.K et al., 2010].
Social media use has increased rapidly among the young aged between 18 and 29 years. According to Andrew Perrin, social media usage among young adults has grown from 12% in 2005 to 90% in 2015, consistent with the adoption of smartphone technology.
Read: Importance of student-teacher relationships
The growth and popularity of online social networks have created a new world of collaboration and communication among students which to their advantage. Although social media has many disadvantages for students, there are a lot of benefits of social media for students.
Reasons to use social media to your advantage as a student
Listed below are the advantages of using social media as a student:
- It gives you an opportunity to share knowledge and exchange ideas. Also, sharing of information becomes easy (information like valuable documents, videos, files, links, etc.)
- Currently, 3.196 billion individuals are an active user of social media in the world. The implication of this high number is that you have access to the network (student to student interaction) and collaborate with a lot of people online.
- Since it is used for communication, it can enhance discussion on topics you don’t understand for better understanding.
- It increases social influence
- Prompt access to opportunities that can advance one’s career
- It is a platform of discussions for assignment and other coursework; you get feeds on class schedules, class venues receives and sends information’s among your peers, explore issues related to coursework and a host of others.
- It provides an avenue to earn extra income as a student while studying
- Social media has also been identified as being used to build and strengthen campus community by actively encouraging student involvement and participation in school activities
- The social media communication platform exhibits important impact on student motivation to learn, effective learning, and classroom climate.
- It helps students to multitask, i.e., a digital juggling of daily activities and commitments
Read: Effects of social media on academic performance