One of the steps a smart student take is to know the catchment areas of the school he wants to choose when filling JAMB form online. It is important to bear in mind that catchment areas are majorly used in Federal Universities.
The policy was introduced in order not to localized federal tertiary institutions and to unite the nation. It is important you bear in mind that admission into tertiary institution in Nigeria is defined in three areas:
Candidates admitted on merit are the set of people that meet all the requirements of the school i.e. UTME score, Post UTME score, and O’level requirement. However, the policy is that only 45% of them must be given admission.
- Catchment Area
These are states that are geographically connected to the University. It is a way of recognizing indigenes of the school and that of the neighbouring states. 35% goes to these set of candidates.
- Educationally Less Developed States (ELDS)
20% of admission quota goes to ELDS. These are states that are less developed educationally. These states include Bayelsa, Ebonyi, Jigawa, Zamfara, Adamawa, Bauchi, Benue, Borno, Cross River, Gombe, Jigawa, Kano, Kaduna, Katsina, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Niger, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, Taraba and Yobe.
The purpose of these three areas is to have universality, give everyone an opportunity to be educated, and as well have a sense of belonging.
A candidate must understand must be aware of the three “admission areas” before choosing a course of study in any university in Nigeria. This means if I miss an opportunity to gain admission through merit, I must take the advantage of catchment or ELDS. I termed this as “three big admission success tool”
Note: This doesn’t mean a candidate won’t meet up with the minimum requirements of the school. What this does is to increase your chances of gaining admission having met with the school cut-off mark.
For instance, if UI cut-off mark for medicine is 250 and they wanted to admit 100 candidates, it is possible to see like 300 students that applied to the score 250 and above. And it is impossible to admit all the 300 candidates. In this kind of situation, your saving grace to gain admission might be catchment areas or ELDS.
Federal Universities and their catchment areas
Below are the list of catchment areas of Nigerian universities:
- Ahmadu Bello University (ABU): Kaduna, Kogi, Kano, Kastina, Niger, Kwara, Benue, Bauchi, Nasarawa, Adamawa, Plateau, Jigawa, Borno, Zamfara, Yobe, Taraba, Gombe, FCT, Kebbi, Sokota
- University of Lagos (UNILAG): Ogun, Lagos, Osun, Oyo, Ondo, Ekiti
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN): Enugu, Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi
- Bayero University Kano (BUK): Kano, Kaduna, Jigawa, Kastina, Kebbi, Zamfara, Sokoto
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID): Borno, Adamawa, Yobe, Gombe, Bauchi, Taraba
- Nnamdi Azikwe University (UNIZIK): Anambra, Imo, Enugu, Abia, Ebonyi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL): Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa, Edo
- University of Jos (UNIJOS): Plateau, Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, Kwara, Niger
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN): Kwara, Benue, Kogi, Niger, Nasarawa, Plateau
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT): Rivers, Delta, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Edo, Cross River
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University (ATBU): Bauchi, Gombe, Yobe, Borno, Adamawa, Taraba
- University of Ibadan (UI): Oyo, Osun, Ogun, Ondo, Ekiti, Lagos
- University of Abuja (UNIABUJA): All the states and FCT
- Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA): Ondo, Ekiti, Lagos, Osun, Oyo
- Federal University of Technology Minna (FUTMINNA): Niger, Benue, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Plateau, Sokoto, Zamfara
- Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO): Imo, Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology Yola (MAUTECH): Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Taraba, Yobe
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU): Osun, Ekiti, Lagos, Oyo, Ondo
- Usman Danfodio University (UDUSOK): Sokoto, Jigawa, Kwara, Kebbi, Katsina, Kano, Kano, Kaduna, Nasarawa, Niger, Zamfara
- University of Benin (UNIBEN): Edo, Akwa-Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross-River, Delta, Rivers
- Kwara, Benue, Kebbi, Kogi, Nasarawa, Plateau, Sokoto, Zamfara
- University of Uyo (UNIUYO): Akwa-Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross-River, Delta, Edo, Rivers
Related Article: How to gain admission into UI
I hope this article has provided you with the information you needed about the catchment states of your preferred institution. If you have any related question, don’t hesitate to leave a comment.