This is a branch of Medical Science that is concerned with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases and abnormalities of the teeth, jaws, oral cavity and adjacent structures.
A person who studied dentistry is called a Dentist. Dentists are surgeons but not physicians.
How many years is Dentistry in Nigeria?
You will be trained in a university for a period of six (6) years; of these years will be spent together with the students of medicine. After which newly inducted dentists undergo one year of compulsory internship and another year of NYSC, then register with the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) before they can practice.
Privilege you have as a Dentist
As a dentist you are entitled to whatever your counterparts that studied medicine are entitled to and you are paid with the same salary scale except for specialists that get special allowances depending on the field and other part time jobs that anyone may decide to take.
Universities offering Dentistry and Dental Surgery
List of Universities offering Dentistry and Dental Surgery in Nigeria: The Universities below are the best Dental school in Nigeria. Presently there is no private university offering dentistry in Nigeria.
- Bayero University Kano
- University of Benin
- University of Calabar
- University of Ibadan
- University of Jos
- University of Lagos
- Lagos State University
- University of Maiduguri
- Obafemi Awolowo University
- University of Port-Harcourt
- University of Nigeria
Dentistry and Dental Surgery Requirements
I explain here in details the JAMB subject combination, Direct entry requirements, and O’level requirements for Dentistry according to JAMB Brochure.
JAMB subject combination
English Language, Biology, Chemistry, One other science subject.
- JOS, CALABAR, UNN, BENIN, LAGOS and OAU require Physics as the other science subject.
- MAIDUGURI requires Physics, Chemistry and Biology
- FUTO requires Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- UNILAG requires English Language, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- ABU requires Use of English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- UNIPORT requires Chemistry, Biology and Physics or Mathematics.
Three ‘A’ level passes include Chemistry, Biology/Zoology and Physics.
- UNIBEN accepts B.Sc Second Class Lower in Biochemistry, Microbiology, Zoology, Botany, Anatomy, Physiology, Nursing, B.Sc or ND Optometry, B.Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy.
- UNIJOS accepts passes in IJMB/‘A’ Level in Physics,
- Chemistry and Zoology or Biology. Such candidates must also have obtained five (5) ‘0’ level credits passes in Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Zoology, English Language and Mathematics.
- UNILAG accepts JUPEB/‘A’ -level passes in Physics Chemistry and Biology. B.Sc. Degree (first class/second class upper) in Medical related fields.
- OAU accepts B.Sc. with a minimum of second class Honours in relevant programme (Sciences).
- UNIPORT accepts Three (3) A/Level passes in JUPEB or IJMB or GCE or HSC Passes in Physics, Chemistry and Biology including UTME entry requirements. First Degree (Second Class Honours – Upper division) in either Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry or any other related course including UTME entry requirements.
- ABU accepts ‘A’ Level/IJMB Passes in three subjects in Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Zoology.
- FUTO requires; At least three ‘A’ level passes not below Grade C in Biology and any two of Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. ND/HND at Upper Credit level in Dental Technology, Dental Therapy and Dental Surgery Techniques. First Degree in health sciences. Very good passes in three JUPEB subjects namely Chemistry, Biology and Physics. It does not accept NCE. Candidates must in addition meet the ‘O’ Level requirements.
- UNN requires Direct entry candidates in addition to satisfying the UTME requirements should also have three (3) ‘A’ Level passes in Biology or Zoology, Chemistry and Physics at one (1) sitting. Accepts B.Sc in related programme for admission into the five (5) year standard programme. MBBS may be admitted into the three (3) year clinical programme in Dentistry.
Five SSCE credit passes in English language, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics.
- UNN requires candidates in addition to minimum entry requirements to have ‘0’ level credit passes in English Language, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics at not more than one (1) sitting.
- FUTO requires at least five (5) ‘O’ Level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology in not more than two (2) sittings.
- UNILAG requires Five O/Level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- ABU requires Five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- UNIPORT requires Five (5) SSC credit passes in English Language, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics.