The West African Examination Council has a culture of recognizing the best students in WAEC every year. The year 2020 wasn’t an exemption in this culture as the Council gives prizes to students who had good performance in the exam. On the 18th November, 2021, the Council revealed the names of students who had good performance in 2020 WASSCE.
The overall best student in 2020 WASSCE is Yinka-Banjo, Victoria Morenike had A1 in all the subjects she wrote; also, she had a total score of 606.3196. She attended Princeton College, Aguda, Surulere, Lagos. Currently, Victoria is studying Computational Biology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States. This girl also won 19 scholarships abroad and had to choose one.
The West African Examinations Council is West Africa’s foremost examining board established by law to determine the examinations required in the public interest in the English-speaking West African countries, conduct the examinations, and award certificates comparable to those of equivalent examining authorities internationally.
By this mandate, the Council is expected to:
- Assist in the development of sound education
- Ensure that educational standards are maintained
- Give the people of West Africa a vision of the great potentials which lie beyond examinations.
Best Students in WAEC and Their Secondary Schools
The name of the top 3 best students in WASSCE is discussed here with the secondary schools they attended when they sat for the exam
- Yinka-Banjo, Victoria Morenike (606.3196 total score) – Princeton College, Aguda, Surulere, Lagos
- Adebowale, Dorcas Ayooluwa (601.2198 total score) – Emerald Laurel Comprehensive College, Ibadan
- Nwaozuzu Confidence Chinaza (599.605 total score) – Total Education Development Academy, Eke-Owerri, Abia
Interestingly, all the top 3 performing students are female. This has shown that females can perform better than their male counterparts if given the opportunity and motivation.