Starting a school in Nigeria isn’t a herculean task so far you have what is required to own one. One of the things that the founder must know is why he/she wants to establish one. The primary purpose must be to develop each learner for living morally, creatively, and productively in society.
Some school founders in Nigeria see it as a business and for-profit purpose and not for intellectual, civic, socialization, and economic purpose each learner will get. I am not saying it should be built to run at a loss, but the primary aim is to fulfill the four cardinal purposes of establishing one. Then the reward or profit will follow.
Because of the public character of the services that the schools provide in Nigeria enlisted them among organizations that are not subjected to cooperate tax. The section of the Companies Income Tax Cap C21, LFN 2004 is often cited as the legal basis for the exemption. This section provides that the profit of any company engaged in ecclesiastical, charitable, or educational activities of a public character are exempt from tax in so far as such profits are not derived from a trade or business carried on by such company.
Starting a school requires capital; however, your school will determine the amount you will invest.
How to Start A School From Scratch
Step 1: Get a name for the school
The name you give to your school is very important to the success of the school. So it is important that you think through to be able to coin a good name for the school. The name of the school is the identity of the school.
Step 2: Get a good place where the school will be situated
Some school founders do not know that the location or the environment where a school is located has an effect on how learning can be facilitated. A conducive environment aids learning.
Step 3: Ensure the classrooms are well equipped with teaching aids and material.
Some of the things you are expected to get include a whiteboard, markers, textbooks, syllabus, tables and chairs, curriculum, etc. It would be best if you did not forget that the classes must be well ventilated and the structure of the classroom must be in accordance with the health and safety measures.
Step 4: Register the School with CAC
The steps below will help you to register your school with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)
- The proposed name of the school (2 names must be submitted)
- The address of the school
- The functions and objectives of the school
- Particulars of the School Proprietor(s) – (copy of their identification card, which could be National passport/National Identity card/Driver’s license or voters card)
- Age, phone numbers, email address, and residential address of the school proprietor(s).
- 2 passport photographs of the School proprietor(s)
Step 5: Get Approval from the Ministry of Education
After successful registration of a school with the Corporate Affairs Commission, the next thing to be done is to obtain approval from the Ministry of Education in the state where the school is located.
Below are the steps to get approval from the Ministry of Education in the state where the school is located.
- A formal application shall be made to the Ministry of Education of the state where the school is located.
- 1st inspection of the school by the officials of the Ministry of educations. The inspection here ranges from inspection of toilets, classroom, and administrative blocks.
- Submission of approval forms by the school to the Ministry of Education.
- 2nd inspection of the school by the officials of the Ministry of Education. The inspection here ranges from inspection of curriculum textbooks and other items.
- Approval certificate awarded to the school after satisfaction by the Ministry officials upon the 2nd inspection.
Step 6: Set up a team of teachers and administrative staffs
At this point, getting qualified teachers will help your school to grow and bring in the expected reward. I will suggest that you should have the mind of starting a standard school with qualified teachers.
For instance, if you are establishing a crèche, it would be advisable to hire mothers who are experienced in taking care of babies. If you want to set up a Nursery and Primary School, get a headteacher with a minimum of NCE and experience in educational administration. Your teachers should also have a minimum of NCE and experience in childcare education or play-work.
Step 7: Advertise your School
You can employ different means to advertise your school, and this is not once for all time. It should be your culture to promote the school any day at any time. Advertising helps informs the public about the school and what their children stand to gain if they enroll in your school.
Lastly, your school standard will determine how much you can charge as school fees, and once the standard is there, parents will be willing to pay. The bottom line is that the business is lucrative.